HISTORY OF CRAB ORCHARD GOLF CLUB

Est. 1959

Anyone familiar with Southern Illinois or living in this area since 1956 knows of COGC. It has developed into one of the finest golf facilities in the region. The golf course has brought recognition not just to Carterville, but also to Southern Illinois as a whole!

However, few know the history and background of the land acquisition and related development of this recreation center and personalities responsible for this achievement. 

In 1956, Roy Glenn, 12 years a touring professional and then Golf Pro at Green Hills Country Club in Mt. Vernon, came to Carterville with the idea of establishing a golf course in this vicinity. Roy met with a number of Carterville business leaders, many of who offered assistance by purchasing memberships in the new project. Mayor Wes Hayton initiated the action by purchasing the first membership in the embryo club.

With the help of Raymond "TANG" Talley and Gordon Riggin, Roy and his associates, Gene Timmons of Evansville, Indiana and Dr. Dale Caveness of Eldorado, then purchased the 240 acre property known as the Ferrell Farm, just west of Carterville.

Roy designed the course in 1956, with actual construction of the course beginning in 1957. After two very active years of building, the course was completed and opened for play in the summer of 1959. In 1961, Don Johnson of McLeansboro, bought interest of Gene Timmons.

Another ownership change occurred in 1965 when Phil Heckel of Carterville and Dwight Witherspoon, Golf Professional at Carmi Country Club, purchased the stock of Dr. Dale Caveness and Roy Glenn. Roy then turned his attention to development of the subdivision we know as Greenbriar, which was part of the Ferrell Farm.

In 1969, Mr. Witherspoon sold his interest in the course to Phil Heckel and Don Johnson at which time Steve Heckel became Assistant Pro under the direction of Golf Pro Don Johnson.

The final ownership change took place in 1972 when Phil Heckel and son Steve Heckel purchased the interest of Don Johnson and became sole owners.

Over the years COGC has been developed into a fine golf facility with a PGA Golf Professional. We have a championship driving range and practice facility, which complements our fully irrigated course. Bermuda and Zoysia grass cover our tees and fairways with Bent grass the choice for our greens. The course has undergone many design changes from its inception and plays as one of the toughest courses in all of Southern Illinois from the Championship tees with a slope of 121.

Management records indicate well over 300 members and over 40,000 rounds of golf played each year. The club features a very busy schedule of activities and a fine junior program.