Anyone who loves a little show of power play with their carts, opt for the star EV. However, it’s not fun anymore when this reliable golf cart displays issues and it can especially escalate to more damage if kept unattended.
The major problems include battery troubles, not being able to brake, unable to control speed, and so on. Though these issues are pretty major, they can be fixed by troubleshooting techniques like inspecting the battery, testing the solenoid, and so on.
You must stay mindful of these problems because if you don’t take proper action at the proper time, the time to bid your golf cart goodbye may come near. So to help you avoid that, here are 5 major Star EV golf cart problems with fixes that you need to know-
1. Troubled Battery is Compromising the Performance
The battery is a very important component of your golf cart because troubles with the battery can not only result in your golf cart’s poor performance but also cause damage to the internal parts of the engine. Issues with the battery also cause underlying problems like the golf cart not moving, not speeding, and stopping the overall function of your Star EV.
The reasons behind the battery troubles include:
- Uncharged battery: sometimes due to frequent use your Star EV can undergo proper charging especially when used after a long time. Keeping the battery not charged for a long time can induce damage to the battery liquids and cause issues.
- Corrosion in terminals: when the terminals are spotted to have corrosion or accumulate dirt or debris, the terminals stop working and cause battery troubles.
- Insufficient water in battery plates: for the electrolyte levels to work in the battery, enough water should be available in the plates so that the chemical reactions keep happening and the battery keeps working. Due to insufficient plate water, battery troubles take place in Star EV.
Fix for battery troubles in Star EV-
- Inspect the battery after turning the golf cart off.
- Check if the battery is recharging or not. Use a multimeter to test it out.
- Recharge the full battery and perform a test run, if it doesn’t run then a replacement is needed.
- Check the electrical wires of the battery terminals, if not connected properly, connect and clean them if you find any corrosion.
- Inspect the plates for water level, if you see noise coming out, contact your local mechanic for repair.
2. The Brake System is Malfunctioning
While you’re riding your star EV, if the brake suddenly stops working, it can pose a heavy threat as it can cause accidents. Not just safety but even reliability depends on the brake system.
the factors that cause brake issues involve-
- Torn brake pads: due to frequent or relentless usage, brake pads tend to get worn over time and malfunction.
- Loose brake cables: riding your Star EV on improper terrain or not fixing the cables properly can remove it from its place and result in malfunction.
- Lack of brake maintenance: The brake system tends to accumulate dirt over time and not cleaning it jams it and causes disruption by making squeaking noises.
Fix for malfunctioning brake system-
- Inspect the brake system after removing the wheel and reach out to the brake pads.
- Check if the brake pads are making contact with the disc, if not it’s displaced, and try to tighten it.
- Inspect the width of the wires and see if there are any worn or damaged parts, replacement is needed if a guy finds one.
- Check for squeaky noises in the cables. Lubricate the cables properly and clean the terminals.
- Adjust the cables and perform a test run, if it still doesn’t show any difference then the cables need replacement.
- Seek your local mechanic for brake pad replacement.
3. Solenoid Function is Disrupted
The solenoid is one of the most important components of a golf cart. Issues with the solenoid can hinder the electrical functions and prevent proper power output to the engine which can cause inconsistent performance like not starting the golf cart.
Reasons why a solenoid malfunctions in Star EV includes-
- Corroded terminals: heavy exposure to environmental stuff can result in corrosion and prevent power output to the engine.
- Worn out electric contacts: using the golf cart over time induces wear and tear which reduces the conductivity of the solenoid and causes disruption.
- Damaged or faulty wiring: if the wire connected to the solenoid terminal is damaged to faulty, electrical malfunctions take place and cause disruption in the Star Ev.
Fix for disrupted solenoid in Star EV-
- Turn your golf cart off and grab tools to inspect the solenoid and battery.
- First, check if the battery terminals are proper or not, then proceed to locate the solenoid which you’ll find beside the controller.
- Check whether the contacts have accumulated any damage. Replacement will be necessary for worn-out solenoid contacts.
- Inspect for corrosion and clean it up with paper or cloth.
- Inspect the solenoid terminals and wire for damage.
- Perform a test run through a multimeter and see if the solenoid works.
- If the solenoid has visible damage, get a new set with the help of a professional.
4. Tires and Wheels are Uneven
The handling stability can majorly be impacted if the tires and wheels are not even and this is another major issue you might come across related to the Star Ev golf cart.
Factors causing this problem include-
- uneven wheel alignment: Irregularly rotated tires or incorrect wheel arrangement is mostly responsible for misaligned wheels.
- Wobbles: imbalanced wheels or tired when worn out, compromise stability by creating wobbles, which impact the alignments.
- Underinflated tires: traction is reduced when there’s no sufficient pressure in the tire. This causes the wheels to stay out of alignment*
Fix for misaligned tires-
- Check whether the tires are rotatable on command.
- Check the wheels if they’re aligned and that correlates with the manufacturer’s guide.
- If not, align them properly by connecting the joints
- Inspect the electrical wires and see if there’s any visible damage, get a replacement of wires if there is.
- Check for inflation or pressure in the tires, and pump air into the tires if necessary.
- Check for stability by starting the car, if the cart shakes, it’s wobbling and needs properly aligned wheels.
- Contact a professional for repair and consultation.
5. Speed Controller isn’t working
One of the most annoying problems your Star EV golf cart will portray is when the speed won’t be controllable anymore. That’s because it heavily impacts acceleration, which can also cause accidents.
Things that cause a problematic speed controller involve-
- Excessive load: putting overload on the speed controller which outweighs its capacity wreaks havoc on the controller and causes acceleration issues.
- Faulty connection: when the electrical wires that are connected to the speed controller are loose or damaged, you’ll notice speed controller issues.
Fix for speed controller not working-
- Turn the gold cart off and inspect the wires that are connected to the battery and speed controller.
- Check if there’s any visible damage on the terminal of the speed controller.
- Check for tightness in the wires of the controller, and tighten it accordingly.
- Reset the controller if you’re familiar with the seed controller, otherwise contact your technician.
- Take out a multimeter and check the voltages of the controller. Replacement is necessary if the readings are none.
- If you find any visible damage on the wires, your golf cart will require a new speed controller, which you can get fitted onto your golf cart through a professional.
Make sure you’re careful with the speed controller since it might hit and burn your hands so wear gloves while doing so.
in our verdict star golf cart problems
Dealing with Star EV golf cart issues can be troublesome if not accustomed to proper do’s and don’t. However, if you follow proper techniques of inspection and tests like those mentioned above, you should be able to tackle these major issues.
The moment you find worn-out parts, it’s best to get a replacement. However, if you’re not sure you can always consult your local mechanic.